!Welcome!

Think of this as a running commentary of my life!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Mental Mondays- What Color is my Collar?

Hello Everyone,

I bring to you the tales of the retail wage slave!

Today I bring a mini rant about the snobbish ways of the Holier than though customer who thinks just because they don't have a retail job, they are automatically better than those of us who work in retail.

This particular story comes from a coworker of mine who had to deal with a particular seedy specimen. As I work in the middle of downtown, I am surrounded by business people all day. And I will openly admit that most of them are the nicest people I have ever met, but every once in a while... well... they leave an impression

So for this retelling of this particular story, we will call her "Lindsay".

So Lindsay was helping this one middle aged man through the hoodies, as he was looking for one to wear under his winter coat We had ones lined with this fluffy sherpa wool and they were super warm and perfect for him. Lindsay started telling him that she had just bought it for her boyfriend and that it looked super cute on him. He interupts her and states this particular statement

Customer: Is there anything in here that is not made for construction workers? I am not a blue collar worker!"

Lisaday: ... Excuse me?

She left him strictly alone after that.

We do not sell business suits, we do not sell dress slacks or shirts, that is not what we have ever or will ever sell. We sell jeans, hoodies and t-shirts. I'm sorry, I did not know that white collared workers don't wear jeans, and t-shirts on their day off, that they eat breathe and sleep in their crisply pressed brooks brothers suits.

for about 10$ for everything in the store... what the hell do you expect.

And this is by far not the first time any person has ever looked down their nose at me based solely on my profession. Don't assume that because I work at the local mall that I have no higher education. Excuse you, I have post secondary education, I could go into dozens of different office jobs (and not a secretary) or even enter a trade whenever I want, but that is not where my passion is. I have yet to find my true calling.. and trust me, I am on the hunt for it. I will go into whatever my heart wants...

Anywho...

I'll see you next monday!!!
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Customers are ass holes. I know how you feel. They can be so verbally abusive and judgmental. Really ticks me off when they get physical, though.

    And good luck with you hunt for your calling in life. I know what that feels like too.

    ReplyDelete