!Welcome!

Think of this as a running commentary of my life!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It Should be a National Sport!

Today I am coming to you, writing about a behavior that I and almost every other driver out there is guilty of...

Rubbernecking!!!

Defined by Wikipedia as "the act of gawking at something of interest". Generally referring to a traffic accident.

While barreling down the Deerfoot, the high speed highway here in Calgary, trying to get home in half the time, essentially avoiding the insane rush hour. I saw some smoke billowing over the horizon and spidey sense started furiously tingling.

Oh this will be a good one I thought.

Not the classic police pull over, where the person in the driver seat is covering their face with their hands, embarrassed that the 1000th time they have been driving down this road at breakneck speed and now they (Finally!) got caught.

Or the fender bender, where someone was texting or doing something they fully know they should not and hit the person in front, or beside, them.

There are several other reasons why there would be cars pulled over on the side of the road, from a forceful by the local law enforcement, to break downs. Either way, it's not happening to me, and I am so THANKFUL!!!

Well this poor Bastard must have been having a bad day.

There, on the other side of the road, his poor new little sport SUV, with the beautiful detailing, and gleaming silver surface. His car was smoking furiously under the hood, and there were flames.

My very first thought: Holy crap! Look at that!!!
After a few moments: Did anyone call 911?

The young guys were 50 feet away and one was flipping shit (No wonder!), my guess it was his poor little baby that was spontaneous combusting! Or maybe his Parental Units lent it to him.

For a little while, after Firetrucks and Police cars came screaming down the road towards the ignited vehicle, I was still like WOW that was sick! Awed by how seemingly extreme that was, narrowly avoiding making my own spectacle of a collision.

... Why am I still in awe?

I got so caught up in the rapture of the image of a car about to explode etched into my mind, I made it home before I was like... what the hell am I doing?

And it's something everyone I know who drives, or others who don't, do when they spot these little incidents on the side of the road. Anything to distract you from the mundane drive home from work or from your errands.

We as humans love and crave excitement and this particular brand of excitement brings one feeling to mind.

THANK GOD THAT IS NOT ME!!!

Am I right? Holla!!!

1 comment: